Monday 14 August 2023

James...


 I have just finished this watercolour portrait and am so very happy with it!  When someone asked if I could paint their late partner, only recently deceased, I felt a huge responsibility and was anxious that I might not be able to achieve a suitable representation.  However, the photograph I was given to work with was so good and so joyous, I knew straight away that this was going to be a thoroughly enjoyable task.

This one is big - it's about three times the size I usually work with, and took up my whole drawing board - as I work with my board in my lap, it was a bit of a handful at times!  I started with the background and then the scarf and shirt - unusual for me, I usually start a portrait with the eyes, but as the eyes were sunglasses in this case, I thought to begin from the outside in.  There was not a single part of this painting that I did not enjoy, and I am particularly proud of how the sunglasses have turned out, especially as once I had completed them and their reflections, I realised you can see the suggestion of the gentleman's eyes behind them.

Now to await the client's reaction...

No comments: