Monday 11 August 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For!

I'm in a bit of a panic - a very nice panic, but a panic nonetheless. For years I have been banging on that I would like to make my living from my artwork - it's been my dream since I was a child I guess. Over the last few days, that dream looks like it might possibly become a reality - in a small way at least.

Remember those potato paintings? Well, I now have a commission to illustrate a book about potatoes, which should take a year or so with about 100 illustrations to be done. Funny thing to get your breakthrough with but I'm certainly not complaining!

I also have several craft commissions on the go, also a lot of fun. My panic is over time-management - I have to sit down and work out how to sensibly fit all this in while still being carer to my daughter, keeping the house running, and come September going back to the day job. I'm sure it is all feasible once I get a routine sorted - and very, very exciting!


In the meantime I have been frittering away my evenings making the above. You may recognise the yarn from the fan scarf - this is how it knits up and I think it is so cute! This little shrug is for me (wearing it now!) and was also an experiment to work out a pattern to be used on some rather exciting Japanese yarn that is currently winging it's way over from New York.


And previous to that, I was frittering away my time on the above shrug, made from soft grey mohair with deep pink knitted roses around the neckline. It hasn't photographed well unfortunately.


Here is another view showing the long sleeve with the flared ribbing around the wrist. I'm still not 100% happy with this, I feel it may need more roses or perhaps leaves but that will have to wait for a while as I really have to PRIORITISE!!

4 comments:

Sallie said...

Congratulations on the illustration job. Good luck with the time management.

natural attrill said...

I like the bottom one.
I dont think it needs anymore roses or any leaves.
Congrats on the potato job!!
P.x

Magpie Magic said...

They're both lovely. I like the shape of the first one. The pink yarn is not quite my cup of tea. The second one is gorgeous and now seeing it all blocked I agree with Penny, it's perfect as it is. :-)

S. x

Laura Sparling said...

Many congratulations on the potato illustration job! :o)