Saturday, 31 August 2013
Currently on the easel is this portrait of a staffie called Troy. This is being painted in acrylics on Dalerboard - it's been a very long time since I was commissioned to paint a detailed acrylic portrait. Most of this is still just 'blocking in', the only part that is more or less finished is the eyes. This will take a good few more weeks work - there is such a difference in the time taken between a watercolour or pencil portrait and an acrylic. Possibly something to do with painting an A3 sized picture using a size 1 brush....
I work in a school four mornings a week during term times, which means I get to enjoy the school holidays. So when it comes down to the last weekend before going back to school, I feel as depressed as any child does. I've had a productive 6 weeks, getting on with all sorts of outstanding jobs round the house and had the time to get on with various arts and crafts projects. I shall miss having the time!
Tuesday, 27 August 2013
I have also been knitted all the various components for the car to be used in the animated film. It's nearly done, it just needs assembling and the detailing such as numberplates, wing mirrors etc. I am very curious to see what it will look like when assembled!
Friday, 23 August 2013
However, I have another dog portrait to get on with, in acrylics this time. I had a photo session with him last night, a very squirmy staffie who is totally devoted to his owner and just would not look at me, no matter how many biscuits I waved under his nose! I did manage to get one perfect shot though, so I am ready to start. Had to have a bit of a wash when I got home....very licky dog!
Monday, 19 August 2013
For now this is all I am prepared to show of this one - the owners know it is being painted but as they are friends of mine, I don't want to reveal too much just yet as half the fun is the surprise of showing a finished painting. I'm painting this in watercolour, very simple and back to basics with no mixed media party tricks involved and it's going very well. It feels good to stretch my brain with the strategies involved in a pure watercolour.
Wednesday, 14 August 2013
Something was strange yesterday afternoon....the builders were definitely there,six feet from our garden, but there was no noise...no axle grinders grinding, no generator buzzing, no saws sawing, and no ribald banter. Not only that, the neighbours weren't playing their stereos, hammering and banging or shouting at each other...could it be that I would get the opportunity to take my drawing board outside?
So I got everything together, fresh paper on board, pencil sharpened, kindle playing some suitable tunes,and decamped to the patio table. Spent a very pleasant hour sketching out the next dog portrait, then decided to get the watercolours and do a few impromptu watercolour sketches of the plants around me. The one above is my stevia plant.
Some green tomatoes and a few salad leaves. I was just really getting into this when.....it rained! What to save first, the kindle, my drawing board or the watercolours? What a scramble! At least I got some quality time out there.
I wonder if I will get a peaceful afternoon today too?
The result being that this painting is now finished - considering how it was started, I'm very happy with how it has turned out. There were a lot of 'mistakes' to be corrected from the haphazard way I painted it during the demonstration last week. I'm usually very methodical, thinking out my strategy before putting pencil or brush to paper, working from the eyes outwards. There was a fair bit of white acrylic paint used on this one to bring back lost edges and cover up unruly paint! It's very much a mixed media effort, using watercolours, ink, coloured pencils and acrylic, but hey, that's the way it goes sometimes, each painting has it's own methodology.
Now I am free to get on with some paid work. Two dog portraits - I love dog portraits!
Monday, 12 August 2013
Friday, 9 August 2013
Thursday, 8 August 2013
It seemed to go down well, everyone was happy and a lot of people came up afterwards to say that they would be attending the workshop I am running there next month. For my part, I was just so pleased to discover that I can talk coherently about my favourite subject for that amount of time - I definitely think I could do that on a regular basis!
After a dry spell as far as painting is concerned, I now have to finish the above painting in order to take it with me for the workshop, plus I have two dog portraits to get on with.
Tuesday, 6 August 2013
Sunday, 4 August 2013
It is not necessary to sit and study books on anatomy, although that wouldn't hurt. My tip, such as it is, is to imagine you are actually touching the animal as you draw. If you think about when you pet your cat or dog, hopefully their skull is symetrical, with no untoward lumps and bumps sticking out. Their limbs have the same amount of joints and bend in a certain way; they have a ribcage which creates the whole shape of the torso. To get this basic anatomy incorrect will obviously make the finished painting incorrect. There's nothing worse than a wonky aninal!
So spending at least a couple of hours in preparing is time well spent. Hopefully this drawing will result in a decent painting at the end of Tuesday night!
Saturday, 3 August 2013
Start again. These lttle bluetits are only a couple of inches long, with moveable heads, poseable wings and feet. I can't wait to see what they look like when animated!
On the easel - a preparatory drawing for my first public demonstration of painting next week. I'm starting to get very nervous and hoping I won't fall over, knock over the easel thus spilling my paint water all over my equipment...this is a very real possibility! Or I could be paralysed by stage fright and end up talking nonsense and look like a buffoon. They could hate me and heckle and jeer and throw things....I need some reassurance here...