Monday, 20 February 2017

Bearly There...

Since the end of January I have been in the throes of a very bad head cold which settled in my sinuses and caused all sorts of problems - headache, nose ache, face ache, toothache and a general feeling of ickiness.  I ended up on antibiotics, and am now recovered - thank goodness!  Consequently, there was not much art and craft work going on.  However, last week when I started to feel human again, I began the above watercolour.  It was finished yesterday, with the addition of white acrylic for the water splashes and a bit of colour pencil to add texture to the fur.  When I manage to get a decent photo in daylight, he will be up for sale in my Etsy shop.

Wednesday, 8 February 2017

Bears & A Doily...

 I'm not feeling terribly inspired this week - since getting the kitchen back in order there have been other outstanding jobs to be getting on with, such as shampooing any carpet trampled on by workmen's dirty boots...  I did squeeze in a quick half hour watercolour yesterday, a mother bear & cub taking a nap.  Hoping to start something a bit bigger this week, if I could only think of a subject.
I'm waiting for a delivery of yarn before I can get on with some work - taking far longer than usual - and in the meantime I crocheted a doily from an old pattern book I discovered while sorting out the stuff in the kitchen.  I also found a pile of very old knitting patterns from the sixties, mainly sweaters.  Not sure I want to keep these - if anyone is interested, drop me a line!

Tuesday, 7 February 2017

January In A Nutshell...

 It feels like I didn't do much throughout January, but on the other hand I did an awful lot.  This was the last painting in the series of square animal portraits, a raccoon.  Acrylic on board and about to go into my Etsy shop.  I haven't touched a paintbrush since as I have been trying to sort out the finished kitchen.  Once the workmen had left, it was up to me to then bring all the boxes and books downstairs once more, sort them out and find homes for everything.
 This was hampered half way through by a nasty head cold which took the stuffing out of me for a few days. However, as of last weekend, I think we can consider the room done.
 We added a few extra touches - a shelf here, a couple of small cupboards there, and I was able to hang the pictures in some semblance of order rather than willynilly as they were before.
 It's all very white and clean looking - which is what I was after as I am quite an untidy person by nature, so this way I am forced to keep up appearances!
So far it is working very well indeed and I can't quite believe the amount of space we have - I threw away very little considering the amount of 'stuff' we have.  We seem to have gained a fair amount of extra cupboard space - either that or I am being better organised!  Whatever the reason, I am thoroughly enjoying our new look!

Tuesday, 31 January 2017


Stretched canvas prints of my original paintings, available now in my Etsy shop.

Saturday, 21 January 2017

Almost There...

Here is one end of the newly refurbished kitchen - not quite finished as we are still missing the cooker hood and a nice pale blue metal bin, both of which arrived severely damaged and are being replaced.  I also want to replace the brown rug with a blue one but it's cold underfoot at the moment, so the rug stays!

Yesterday we spent most of the day re-assembling the bookcases that live at the other end of the room - they have been under severe strain over the years holding a great deal of books and were coming apart at the seams.  So with that done, we are ready today to bring down everything that has been jammed into the spare room & my daughter's bedroom for the past three weeks and find a home for it all.  I feel I am going to have to be quite ruthless if I want the place to remain clear of clutter - not something I am good at!  Wish me luck...

Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Work In Progress...

I can honestly say I haven't had this much painting time in a very long while!  As the kitchen and bathroom refits  take their course, there is not much else I can be doing around the house while it is full of workmen, dust sheets, equipment and mess.  So continuing the vague theme, I have started another animal portrait in acylics on board, a raccoon this time.  I had fun with the background, using lots of glazes, stippling, sponging, dripping...and then rubbing half of it off in order to get the effect of tree bark.  Nearly over-did it, but luckily I have a magic sponge that takes the paint off very efficiently even when it has dried.  We have another three days of work in the house, perhaps I will be able to complete this by the weekend!

The kitchen & bathroom are nearly done - we are in fact a day ahead of schedule thanks to the lovely tiler staying very late on Monday to finish both rooms, and the painter yesterday finding it an easy job - we look after our home, it just needed a couple of coats of paint, not much else.  It's all coming together and looking very nice indeed. I cannot wait to start putting everything back and returning to normality.  I think the dog must be feeling the same way - I bought a crate for her which has been wonderful, a safe haven as well as a means of keeping her contained if I need to pop out.  She's only been shut in it a couple of times for no more than half an hour, but it's good to know the option is there should we need it and that everyone remains safe. Three more days...

Thursday, 12 January 2017

Fine Fox...

Despite the chaos around me, or perhaps because of it, I have finished this in record time - nothing else I could do this week other than sit and paint while they do the kitchen & bathroom.

This is now for sale in my Etsy shop - acrylic on mountboard.