Wednesday, 20 February 2013
For The Birds.....
After a bit more adjustment, I cut out the actual fabric pieces using freezer paper for my pattern - wow, I wish I had discovered that stuff sooner! It irons onto the fabric and stays there nicely until you want to remove it, whereupon it peels off easily and cleanly and can be used again.
After sewing the main body together (putting safety eyes in place) it was time to stuff it. I then discovered that the tummy gusset was still too wide, but this could be remedied when I sewed the centre seam after stuffing - excess fabric could be caught up and hidden neatly. This has all been a huge learning curve for me - when it comes to stuffed toys, I usually use ready patterns as I have no experience of making my own.
At the moment I am sewing feathers to the wings. The wings are made from two pieces of brown fabric with felt inbetween for added thickness. I have used various scraps of brown fabric for the feathers, making sure to cut out exact duplicates for each wing and pinned them in place at the same time. I am roughly sewing them in using backstitch in a contrasting thread down the centre of each feather. The fabric has not been seamed and I am gently fraying the sides of each feather in order to give the effect of the soft edges of actual feathers. This was something I discovered yesterday while tidying up loose threads - a very happy accident!
Next I have to work out how to make the beak - moorhens beaks are quite complicated when you look at them closely - wish me luck!
Also on the needles, a very small birthday cake.
By the way, Shana please get in touch - you won the giveaway and I would like to get those pencils in the post to you!