Friday 25 January 2019

Sparrow...

Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing a serious lack of inspiration & motivation with regard to painting.  Perhaps because I was so busy in the run up to Christmas, perhaps because of other work commitments, I don't know, I just know it was making me unhappy.  So in order to overcome this, I decided to start with a little painting of one of my favourite subjects, the humble sparrow.

I used walnut ink for this - I like the way the brown can be either light and diluted or rich and dark, and also I like being able to paint with it rather than draw.  However, as the painting went along, I realised I could not achieve the black markings on the bird with walnut ink alone, so used a black ink pen to fill those in.  I also wanted to bring a little warmth to the feathers on the head and shoulders of the bird, so gave them a light wash of orange watercolour over the walnut ink.

It's a small painting but I am happy with how it turned out.  I feel better for having done it but am still lacking inspiration - help!

Paintig currently for sale in my Etsy shop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A really beautiful painting. I know what you mean, also experiencing a bit of burn out after a hectic Nov and Dec. I went out sketching today, I didn't really like my sketch, but it felt good to be out and hear the bird song. Keep painting whatever appeals to you, and i will come back as you get a bit better rested. Best wishes Jane

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!
absolutely adorable!!!

inspiration for painting? Take a day trip to someplace fantastic - whether it's a zoo or a garden or even a hardware store, then paint something a little outside your wheelhouse (since you can paint -anything- including chickens in cowboy boots, I'm not quite sure what it would be.)
Maybe a macro view of some ordinary object/flower/animal.
Paint with a blindfold on. (kidding - but that could be funny)
Paint with your non-dominant hand.

Not having one iota of artistic talent, I'm not quite sure how to help inspire inspiration. Wish I could help. But one thing I do know without a shadow of a doubt - it will come back. Trust that it will.

Keep warm.

T