Monday 18 March 2013

Moorhen 2

I think I am going to have to learn when to say no to a commission!  Sometimes something is so far out of your comfort zone it becomes scary - this was one of those occasions.  The initial order was for a stuffed toy, which was fine.
Then the gentleman wanted a second moorhen that would be more of an art piece, with wire legs.  I have made freestanding birds in the past, but none with such loooong legs!  First was the problem of finding the wire that would be long enough and strong enough to support the weight of a life-size moorhen.  Then once I had made the legs and put them in place, the matter of balance came into play. Ah......not only are moorhens very long-legged, they also carry all their weight at the front of their bodies.  There followed a couple of days of bending, stuffing, sewing, wrapping, painting and praying.  I think he will be OK if he lives on a shelf away from strong winds or vibrating floors!
It was fascinating making such a realistic bird though and trying to combine the artistic side with real markings and feathers.  Not something I would want to do on a regular basis perhaps, as it was very time consuming.

Of course this is where all of you decide you cannot live without a stuffed moorhen and pester me to make lots and lots of them......it'll cost you!


1 comment:

Magpie Magic said...

LOL It looks greatand worth the time you spent on it, but I hear you, some things just take too much time and effort, both of which you could never charge enough for. xoxo