Monday 24 March 2014

Mummy Knows Best...

When I started this zombie/mummy I thought it would be a breeze to knit as it didn't have clothes, just bandages.  What did I know?  Three days to knit nine feet of a strip only 6 stitches wide.  It didn't help that I'd chosen a slightly thinner yarn to get the effect I wanted. I even snuck my knitting in to work to do while I was overseeing readers!  It then had to be made to look old and dirty, so I scrunched it into a ball and soaked half  in cold tea, then rinsed it in order to blur the edges.  While the bandage was damp, I dabbed at it with red Inktense colour block to get random 'bloodstains'.  A day hung over the radiator to dry and then it was time to laboriously wind the bandage around the doll, making sure the interesting bits still showed (wound, guts, eyes) yet the bandage was secure enough not to fall off.
Quite labour intensive but definitely worth it - and I think Gladys would agree.  Look, she is so smitten with him she's offering him her heart, flirty old thing....

On the needles now....a washing machine.  Is it OK that I am kind of excited to make a small washing machine?  I have plans for the door and interior to make it look as realistic as I can - I'm hoping they will work!


1 comment:

Magpie Magic said...

ROFL. Love them. Both. :-)xoxox