Sunday 7 September 2014

No Crafting, Just Chilling...


Anyone who reads this blog on a regular basis will know that I have been very stressed this summer - constant building noise was driving me to the brink of insanity.  However, just before having to go back to work, we took a few days off and caught a plane....a very small plane!
To a very small island - this is Alderney in the Channel Islands, just off the coast of France and where I spent my teenage years when my parents retired there.
Not much has changed, the beaches remain the same.
No-one there but us most of the time.
Stacie's favourite pursuit, assembling a sandy Dalek army - she also did more sketching than I did!
I was too busy collecting shells....
...collecting photos for future paintings...
...or freezing myself in the sea!  Going swimming was a bit of a mad thing to do but when you are challenged, you have to step up.  It was COLD!
We also bird watched at Gannet Rock,
and explored various forts and German fortifications left over from the war.
I have often reminisced about how awful dental checks were when I lived in Alderney and that it was pretty antiquated at the time.  We as children all dreaded the visit to the school of the local dentist, it was not a good experience.  In the museum I found the actual chair we all had to sit in and it was so much worse than I remembered!  Zoom in if you can to read the notice....no wonder we all had problems with our teeth in later life!

I have been crafting since I got back - more on that in another post.










1 comment:

Sue Doran said...

My husband would absolutely love a ride in that plane, he's aviation bonkers! Alderney looks like a wonderful place to get away from it all but it must've been a shock to see that chair.