Monday 2 March 2020

Hat...

A few weeks ago I was given a big sack of leather off cuts by someone who trims vintage cars.  The leather is beautiful, rich colours and soft, but the largest piece is probably only 12 x 18 inches.  So I have been wracking my brains as to what to make from them.  The black pieces will be reserved for bear feet (just perfect!) but there are an awful lot of browns!  I gave some away and still the sack seems as full as ever.


Then on Saturday I had a thought - what about a hat?  I have always wanted a leather hat but the prices have been prohibitive.  I looked up a tutorial which mentioned using a Tilley hat as a template...I have a Tilley hat!  So I worked out a pattern on brown paper and yesterday cut out the pieces and started sewing them togther.  I discovered the new leather needles I bought for my sewing machine work like a dream.  The main problem was holding the pieces together when sewing as of course you can't use pins and the fabric clamps I have still slid about.
There was a slight error in the measuring I had done for the crown - the bottom edge was too long for the edge of the brim, but by making a pleat, I managed to sort it out - and it looks like it was supposed to be there.

All in all, for a first attempt it has come out really well.  I soaked it upon completion in order to shape it a bit better and to make the crown stiffer.  I plaited a hat band and sewed it in place.  Now all it needs is a couple of eyelet airholes in the crown and perhaps a string to stop it blowing off in a wind.

What shall I make next?

No comments: