Sunday 21 June 2020

Lefty - A Most Battered Bear...

This is a painting I have wanted to get on with since the beginning of lockdown but have had neither the time or the motivation until now.  It is of bear 775 Lefty on Brooks Falls, Katmai, Alaska.  I really like this bear - he is battered, covered in scars, missing most of one ear (hence the name) and used to thrash about in the water trying to catch fish, crazed with hunger.  Over the past few years he has learned to be patient and fish from the top of the falls and has become highly proficient at it - I cannot keep up with counting the number of fish he catches and eats in one session!

Interestingly, whilst I knew he has many battle scars, with the close studying of my reference photos I am discovering more and more doinks and dents in his skin - he's led a hard life.

With the Explore.org cams due to be switched on any day now, I can't wait to see this old bear's return!

No comments: