Friday 16 October 2009

If It's October, It Must be Time to Make Christmas Cake!


Every year I try manfully to get the Christmas cake made as early as possible. Sometimes I manage it, sometimes I don't. It makes a big difference to the quality of the cake however, as if the cake is made in October, that gives me over two months in which to water it well with copious jollops of brandy once a week! Last year the cake was sheer perfection as it had been steeping in alcohol for nigh on three months...this year I have once again made it nice and early.

I have used a recipe from a Stork Margarine cook book given to me by my mother when I left home at the age of seventeen.....so it's a very old cook book. It has stood me in good stead over the years, with plenty of simple, tasty traditional dishes and the Christmas cake recipe hasn't let me down yet.

So tonight when the dinner has been cooked, into the oven it will go to bake slowly for three hours in its newspaper overcoat to prevent the sides and bottom from burning - a little trick learnt from my mother. The house will be warm and aromatic with the scent of mixed spice, nutmeg, brandy and cake......mmmmmm.....

4 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

It looks great.

I love old cooking books and have quiet a collection of cooking books, but there are one or two standard ones I use (mainly for baking).

Bet you can't wait for Christmas to eat your cake! LOL

Nunt said...

Mmm, cake... The puppy should now be at his grown up height and should only gain some muscle mass. Which is fine by me, he's beginning to be heavy! It's quite remarkable how much strength he has in his little body to pull at his harness...

Helz Cuppleditch said...

Mmmm, lovely! Roll on Christmas hey Caroline!! Hope you are enjoying your hols, Helz x

sea-blue-sky & abstracts said...

Oh, aren't you good! I love homemade Xmas cake and really should make one, there's an excellent recipe in the Readers Digest 'The Cookery Year' - but I'm the only one who eats it!!!

Also love Lidl's Stollen - mmmm, delicious. BFN. Lesley