Sunday 29 December 2013

Finding Time...

Here is the little rabbit compete with body.  This is such an amazing pattern, it is knitted entirely in one piece apart from the front paws, and stuffing is inserted through the hole between the ears before you sew it up.  I found that if I stopped knitting before the ears, I could put in safety eyes quite easily.  This took an evening to make - it would have been quicker without the embroidered face, but I always like to go the extra mile.
I used the free pattern called Henry's Bunny by Sara Elizabeth Kellner, which can be found here. 
I take my hat off to Sara - this is such a simple but clever pattern, the contours of the rabbit's head are perfect, and the shaped body just fits perfectly in the palm of your hand.

Now that Christmas is over and done with, things are slowly getting back to normal and I am finding the odd hour here and there to get on with oustanding commissions.  One of which is this portait of a greyhound:
Whist I love black dogs in reality, painting or drawing them is a nightmare - it's easy for the black to dominate and look like a gaping hole!  Luckily, this handsome dog is very shiny, so I can ensure there is plenty of contrast.  I am painting this using Derwent Drawing pencils with white acrylic and black ink to help with definition.  I am hoping to get some time today to carry on but have the suspicion I will be called upon to assist digging a pond.....


3 comments:

Soggibottom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magpie Magic said...

I love the bunny! How cute is that? I've never knitted such a tiny creature though... Hmmm. Might have to. The dog is looking very regal. :-) Hope you got out of pond digging duty.... I am living with two cupboards removed and half the stuff in boxes whilst the new kitchen cupboards are assembled and waiting in the living room to be hung... Arrgghghgh. Planning is everything... Obviously.
xoxo

Caroline B said...

Luckily for me, pond digging has been suspended due to adverse weather conditions!
Sybille, you would thoroughly enjoy knitting this rabbit - it's quick, plus fascinating to see how it is constructed as you work.