Monday 29 June 2009

Flowers Finally!


Although I have potato illustrations pending, I took today off and did a loose painting of the hibiscus plant I have growing in my living room. It wasn't supposed to be loose, but the bottom bloom starting dying before my eyes - it is incredibly hot today (for Britain anyway!) and I guess that speeds up the wilting process. So I had to really go fast and sacrifice some of the detail.

I have used Chinese watercolour but in my own style - it's just a lovely medium to use for flower work as you can lift off the colour easily, re-work it if it is wetted again, and also the colours are ideal for such exotic blooms. Considering it was executed in just over an hour, which is not my usual way of working, I am very happy with how it has turned out.


The last time I painted hibiscus was in situ in the garden of our hotel in St. Lucia nine years ago - our one and only long-haul holiday. While I was painting this flower, a hummingbird paid a visit just long enough for me to get a very rough painted sketch down. Not my best work, but a permanent reminder of a very special moment.

So tomorrow it is back to spuds, but I feel refreshed from a brief floral interlude!

3 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

They're both lovely and I honestly can't decide which one I like better. Well done for an hour's work!

Helz Cuppleditch said...

These are both fabulous Caroline! I love the detail on the top one, but also the more loose style on the second.

Helz x

Soggibottom said...

Why does everyone paint except me!