Thursday 4 June 2009

I Think That's Enough for Now.....

Above you can see how I've been occupying myself the past couple of evenings - still working my way through the new pattern book. I'm so impressed with the clever way the shaping has been achieved in these patterns - it is fascinating to see the piece evolve as you knit it.


However, there are a couple of things I would change or do differently next time round - the snail's shell isn't big enough for my liking - if he was real he wouldn't fit in there, it's like me trying to live in a dolls house! I do love the way the body is made with a little mantle all round the edge - I did consider just leaving him as a slug!!

And I followed the ant pattern to the letter and didn't discover until the assemby instructions about putting pipe cleaners in the legs - I'd already sewn and attached them by then, so had to make do with posting some jewellery wire through very carefully, which isn't the best method of doing it - certainly not child friendly! But you learn as you go along, and next time will be easier.

I've reached fatigue point with these now - time to give them a rest for a while. So I'm making a top for myself again instead.

On the art front, I gave myself an enforced break last week - no painting, no sketching (apart from a couple of hasty drawings at the zoo) as I felt I was a bit burnt out - the zebra picture should not have caused that many problems. So this week I have started a commissioned portrait with fresh eyes and enthusiasm and can't wait to get on with it instead of feeling like it is a chore.

5 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

I see what you mean about the shell of the snail and agree, it should be larger. It'd be nice to knit the shell in a variegated yarn - e.g. a multicoloured Adriafil.

The ant is a bit difficult to see - that's the problem with black yarn. However, what I can see of it looks cute. :-)

Have fun with your new painting. :-) Sometimes a break is all you need to rekindle enthusiasm.

natural attrill said...

Not sure what size these creatures are, but, carrying on from my comment on your last post, I think that these would make fun jewellery as well.
Penny.

Caroline B said...

These are all about 6 inches long Penny, so would be a bit scary for jewellery, but I can see where you are coming from. I don't know how easy it would be to make them smaller, but there's no reason I couldn't make my own tiny designs in crochet or felt - definitely something to think about.

Unknown said...

oh the snail is so cute!
Your on a roll with these Caroline!

Soggibottom said...

Like spiders...... slugs are just not my cup of tea as they love my garden. BUT... I relocate them... turn my back and they follow me home.

How different though..... The thought of one of your spiders hanging from our guest room makes me smile.

x x x
I said guest room, I really ment the room where the cats hang out.