Sunday 8 June 2014

A Day Out At The Sculpture Park




We've been talking about visiting the sculpture park at Farnham for months now, ever since reading about it in a magazine.  There was always something preventing us - usually the bad weather!  However, today was simply glorious and we decided to finally find the place.
Hidden among narrow leafy lanes, this park was a revelation.  I don't think it was as big as it seemed, but it consisted of winding trails through the woods and streams, with over 300 sculptures placed among the trees, in the undergrowth and on the little lakes.
I didn't manage to take many photographs as I had the dog's lead in one hand and my daughter's hand in the other while we negotiated some pretty rough terrain.  These are a few of my favourites.
There were several sight hounds scattered around and about - I loved this typical pose.
Quite a few sinister birds lurking in the bushes too.
Some more surreal than others.

I adored this rolling horse, particularly as it had been placed so well in the long grass - if I had a huge garden, I'd want one of these!
A contrast of styles here - a classic flying swan and some very stylised flamingoes.
This photo does not show just how enormous that giant wooden bird at the back is - it must have been the height of a house.

We had a very good few hours exploring but were not able to see everything as some of the paths were too steep and slippery for my daughter, and in places the bridges over streams and ponds were wide metal mesh which my poor dog just could not comfortably walk across.  So I am afraid that calls for another visit sometime soon - now that's a shame!
My partner bought me a present for our own garden - I'm just wondering where I can put this.  It is exactly what it says on the box....
Perhaps we should have bought a pair....

Talking of gardens, look what I came home to find on Friday - a real live solid gate!  No more rubbishy bent wire fencing, we can now go in and out of our garden when we want after over two months of being sealed in.  It's a bit sad how happy that makes me!  Plus the gutters were cleared so hopefully no more flooding.

I have been getting on with the horse portrait - another progress report in my next post.  Plus I have to figure out how to knit that rhino head......


























1 comment:

Magpie Magic said...

Things are obviously looking up. Love the park. :-) xoxox