Sunday 30 August 2015

A Moorhen & A Lesson Learned...

 A couple of weeks ago someone got in touch with me and asked if I could make a moorhen for her boyfriend's birthday which was on the 3rd September.  We exchanged quite a few emails about this, and it seemed the lady was serious.  Usually, I will wait for a firm confirmation that a prospective customer wants an item before starting to make anything.  However, in this case I knew we were going away for four days very soon and that if I didn't start to make the bird before we left then there was no chance of finishing it before the deadline as it is quite a lot of work.
So I sent an email asking for confirmation to go ahead but also began work on the bird.  A day passed, then two, and still no word back from the lady.  Giving her the benefit of the doubt, I continued sewing the bird in order to get the most of the work done before we went away.  Several days later and still no reply, I sent another email explaining what I had done and asking if she could get in touch.  Suffice it to say, I have heard nothing and was left with a half-finished moorhen and a sour taste in my mouth.  This kind of rudeness drives me absolutely crazy!  How long would it take to write just one line and say you have changed your mind, sorry.  I would have understood and as for having started the bird, that was entirely my decision.

So I had to finish the poor thing, and it is now in my Etsy shop awaiting someone who really does want it.  Maybe I am old fashioned, but I would always have the courtesy to let someone know if I didn't want an item.  It seems these days it is far too easy to just not reply to an email and forget that there is someone left in the lurch who is trying to make a living.  And it is RUDE!  So, another lesson learned - never begin a project without an absolutely positive confirmation!

Last week I got back my painting from the framer and it is all ready to be taken up to London in a fortnight's time to the final selection of the Society of Wildlife Artist's exhibition.  He has done a fantastic job on it - I'm keeping it under my hat for the time being, I don't want to count any chickens before they are hatched and I'm a tiny bit superstitious about jinxing things!

After a quiet summer, I now have three dog portraits to do - can't wait!

No comments: