Sunday 28 February 2010

Unravel


After weeks of anticipation, today I went to the Unravel knitting show at the Farnham Maltings. Looking at the weather, I was wondering if I'd get there in one piece - torrential rain and the road I took was awash with running water and huge puddles. The river in Farnham was just on the verge of bursting it's banks - about another inch to go on the footpath side!


I knew I was on the right path to get there - the lamp-posts in the car park all had knitted jumpers, as did this finely bedecked tree. Shame it was all wet and soggy!

A couple of hours later, I left with a large carrier bag full of woolly plunder. There were so many lovely stalls with yarns, buttons, knitting accessories, spinning, weaving, finished articles and a Best in Show exhibit. It was hard to keep within my budget....Ok, I admit it, I overshot my budget by a long way but who could resist this.....


...a bumper bag of Fiberspates yarns in mouthwatering greens, all for £15! Or these lovelies......


....lots of doggie buttons - don't you just love the vintage black Scottie dogs? A big cone of cotton/cashmere laceweight yarn for £2! Three balls of what appears to be Noro Kureyon but isn't - it's a pretty fine replica, 100% wool, but half the price - and the stockist is the wool shop in Farnham...oh dear! Some Mille Colori, a pair of No.2 bamboo needles - glorified cocktail sticks really, I am determined to destroy my eyesight once and for all - and a pack of mini buttons for felt animal leg joints. Not a bad haul, and all things I will definitely use in the future.

It's been a good weekend for bargains - our local art shop had lots of craft acrylic paints at half price yesterday - I only bought 6 colours that I know I will use.


I've already started to paint a small wooden box with the pale green as the background with some pink roses scattered across the lid - pretty!

6 comments:

Soggibottom said...

Now your bags are full and you are wondering where you can stash it...

Try my cupboard under the stairs:-)

I know you are going to hate this..
We have had a lovely sunny rain free day. But when it snows and rains.... I THINK OF YOU X :-)

Magpie Magic said...

Ooooohhhhhh, I am so jealous. Gorgeous yarn. I love the Fyberspates yarns. Your acrylic colours look great too. Glad I didn't have to drive in this, although your new stash would have been worth it... if it just wasn't so far... :-(

Laura Sparling said...

Now that's some swag! Looks like you had a good weekend. :o)

julie said...

Wow - you weren't kidding - you did bag a lot of lovely yarn! Have fun fondling it and daydreaming what to turn it into!

natural attrill said...

Love the tree jumpers!
Penny.

Unknown said...

Budget...psha. Budgets are for quitters. That's like walking into a vineyard with the largest tasting room and saying, ya know what, I only want to try 1. If I was a yarn fanatic I would probably be up to my eyes in yarn when I left too. Just like when I go to a chocolate festival, I leave with a stomach ache, and I know I've done my job.