Wednesday 8 September 2010

Wonderful Wednesday....





For the past three years I haven't liked Wednesdays much....sometimes I have downright hated the things. The reason being that I worked at the day job all day...I know most people work all day and it's not a problem, but in my case it meant spending the afternoon trying to teach art to very small children who would have preferred to be a) painting their own hands/jumpers, b) flicking dirty water across the work of children who actually did want to do some art, c) trying to kill each other or d) picking their noses and eating it. There were the occasional moments that made it worthwhile, but they were few and far between. On the whole I found it exhausting and soul destroying, especially when I used to get home too tired and grouchy to get on with my own painting. So this year I bit the bullet and quit doing that...and gave up the morning for good measure, praying that the loss of earnings wouldn't affect us too badly. Thankfully, the commissions have continued to roll in steadily, so for now it would seem to have been the right decision.

So today there was no alarm clock to start with - I still got up at the same time, but without the shock. I did the shopping & housework and then got on to this...


We have one damson tree at work and this year it has fruited spectacularly. I gathered a huge bagful the other day from only the tips of two branches. I had to stop as it got too heavy to carry home!


So it's jam time once again - I had 1.5 kilos of fruit after removing the stones (with enough left over to boil up for the freezer), so with the addition of the sugar that made approx 3 kilos (6lbs) of jam.


That should keep us going for a week or two....


It seems to be a bumper year for berries in the hedgerow too. On our walk this afternoon I noticed the bushes and trees are laden.


I hope the old wives' tale that this means we will have a hard winter doesn't come true!


Gratuitous picture of my dog, just because he is pretty........

And now I can go and continue painting without a Wednesday headache or sore throat.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

jam, fruit, flowers & a dog...lovely|!
You're a busy girl Caroline!

Magpie Magic said...

Yum, I love damson jam. :-) I am so glad you enjoyed your Wednesday off. It's lovely working like this as it's two days on, one off, than two more days and then it's already the weekend. :-)

Lovely picture of your dog, too. :-)