Saturday 6 November 2010

Some Animals Are More Equal Than Others....


I love painting and drawing horses, it never gets boring, but this one was a lot more fun than usual.   It would seem that horses are mostly brown...I can hear the intake of breath from purists who are muttering things about 'bay.. chestnut...dun...' and I'm sorry, but to us laymen, it's 'brown'!  However, this gorgeous chap is not only an interesting black and white (I know, piebald, I'm not quite that dim!) but he has one blue eye, which made for a very different commission.  Add to that the tricky bridle, this kept my brain well and truly occupied throughout.

This was executed in Derwent Drawing pencils on Murano pastel paper, with touches of white acrylic paint for highlights.  If you would like your horse (brown or otherwise!) or any other pet painted or drawn, do get in touch - if it is a Christmas present you are after, get in touch quickly!

With regard to the carrot  - obviously not a popular choice of freebie - I got my daughter to make a random choice last night, and I'm sorry Midge from Soggibottom, it was you!  So you will have a knitted carrot - give it to the cats to play with!

3 comments:

- said...

Truly beautiful work!

Soggibottom said...

Ah, darling Stacie. X X X X X X X X XHUGE HUG STACIE.... thank you. I really like the carrot. :-)
But then I love everything your Mum makes. X X X

Thank you Caroline, I accept. :-)
I have been reading a book about animal wisdom...by chance I have read to H..... for Horse.
Strength, loyalty, power, energy and freedom of spirit.... your painting has all of the above. :-) x x x

Magpie Magic said...

Love the horse. Fantastic painting!

Re carrots - sorry missed the post with the freebie... they are very cute. :-)