Monday 15 November 2010

Turaco


Turacos have to be one of my favourite birds.  Whenever I visit places like Birdworld, I have to be forcibly removed from the turacos cage as I could spend forever playing with them - they are just such friendly and comical little fellows!

This painting is based on photographs I  took a couple of  years ago at a place on the way to Oxford called The Living Rainforest.  It's not big and consists of one large glasshouse packed to the gills with tropical plants, free-flying butterflies, cappuchin monkeys and....turacos on the loose!  Needless to say, I was in seventh heaven having these brilliant little birds sit on my hand and clamber around - they don't bite like parrots either.


The painting is a watercolour - now that made it hard to obtain the jewel-like colours and irridescence of these birds!  I'm not sure I pulled it off successfully, but this was the best I could do.

3 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

It's a lovely painting. I think the colours come across really well. There's a nice depth there, especially considering you painted it in water colours. Great with the foliage behind it.

xoxo

Soggibottom said...

I think your blue's and green's look more vibrant. Beautiful.
:-) x x x

natural attrill said...

Oh I love this bird! I have never seen one before, it's face has such character. Your painting is lovely too!
Penny.
x