Wednesday 3 August 2011

Life Goes On...

Despite the mangled hand (still looking ghastly but not nearly so painful), there are still things to be done.  At the weekend I tried bottling some plums as I was given a very large bagful.  Today I tried making pickled pears - we have a tree in our garden which is full of pears but none of us are very keen on eating them raw, so I am always looking for ways to make them a bit more palatable. This recipe is from the River Cottage Preserves cookbook - my one gripe is that the quantity of vinegar/sugar mix are stated to be enough for two jars, but was really enough for only one - I had to quickly boil up another lot which may not be quite as spicy.  I'm also a bit concerned that the fruit float and are not covered by the vinegar, but perhaps they will sink with time as the plums did.  I also made four pounds of plum jam, but no-one wants to look at that - we have about 50 jars of jam, marmalade & chutney all perched on the top of the kitchen cabinets like crows in The Birds!
Before the hand incident, I finished re-knitting the lilac collar.  This time I DID cast on loosely but with the cotton yarn it still didn't have quite as much give to it as it should to make the points really long.  It is still quite pretty and is a fast knit.
I may try knitting it again at a later date in a wool based yarn to see of that makes a difference when it is blocked.

Thankfully, although I can't knit for the time being, I can still hold a pencil and a brush, so the artwork is able to continue - phew!  And the dog has been forgiven - I can crochet at least so am making him a new blanket.

2 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Wow! You're quick. It'd take me forever to knit this. LOL I'd be counting all the time as well...

Your pickles look lovely. :-) You could do some pears in syrup as well? It tastes really nice if you add a small cinnamon and vanilla stick. :-)

xoxo

Houseelf said...

Very pretty collar. Glad the hand is improving. Happy painting.