Sunday 22 January 2012

Sometimes Things Just Turn Out Right.......

It feels like a very long time since I painted an acrylic animal portrait and I was wondering if it might be tricky getting back into it.  I also decided (through sheer laziness) to just sketch this one out by eye - usually when it is a commission I either use the grid system to transfer the image onto the board or occasionally print off the section of the reference photo I want in the size I want and trace the important features.  It feels a bit like cheating, but I always think that the person paying me to paint their child or pet is expecting the finished portrait to be a decent likeness and this guarantees results.

It doesn't mean I can't make a decent sketch, it is just a bit of added insurance.  However, the above painting was sketched out 'properly' and although I had to fix a couple of minor errors in proportion along the way, once the first layer of paint was blocked in I was really pleased with the way it is turning out already.  I don't think I will ever tire of painting dogs!
The knitted cuckoo clock is coming along nicely too - remember, this is 3 inches x 2 inches, so you can imagine what fun I will have making the cuckoo and putting some hinged doors on that hole at the top....
And this sad little pug needs to be stuffed and have his ears and tail sorted out.  He is due to go to Canada - long journey for a little chap!

No comments: