Wednesday 26 February 2014

Upcycled Lamb...

Well hello, little guy!  I spent half of yesterday sewing this lamb based on a pattern in Abby Glassenberg's really useful book Stuffed Animals: From Concept to Construction.  I used the ram pattern but altered various bit and pieces to fit in with what I wanted to do.
I went to Unravel last Sunday, and part of my haul that I brought home was a lovely soft piece of vintage blanket - all white, slightly felted, and very cuddly.  I wanted to make a very simple toy to make the most of the fabric, something huggable.
Cutting the pattern was hard work - the blanket is quite thick.  Sewing was hard too, in some places the layers of fabric were almost 3/4 inch thick.  Happily, the blanket is so soft that a needle passed through like butter, I just had to remember to pull the thread really taut in order to keep all the layers together.
I'm not sure if he looks as 'lamby' as I wanted, but he certainly is cute.  There are a few things I would alter if I was to make him again, but I am definitely going to work in old blanket again, it makes for a very warm and cuddly finish.



3 comments:

Abby Glassenberg said...

He came out so well! I think he's totally adorable. Thank you so much for sewing a pattern from my book and sharing it here!

Soggibottom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Magpie Magic said...

Wow. He's VERY cute and cuddly. :-) xoxo