Tuesday 28 February 2012

Hanging On The Telephone.......

I've come to the conclusion that all those years as a child spent constructing dolls house furniture, making dolls clothes and feeding fairies (acorn bowls, chestnut porridge and even being allowed to fry a tiny sparrow's egg that I found on the ground*) are finally paying off.  When I am asked  to knit something in miniature, it sets the cogs in my brain to working and the ideas just seem to pop out. I knew how I could make a tiny telephone, it was just the actual base beneath the knitted part that was a bit tricky when it came to assembling it.
I knew how I wanted to make the curly wire too, but it was a challenge finding the right materials - just because I want thin fabric piping in dark brown doesn't mean to say it is available in our local shops!  In the end I bought gold, made the wire and painted it.  The dial goes around too.....
The miniature lacy shawl was a doddle - the only sticking point was that most patterns I had for a triangular knit were a bit large, but by knitting this in crochet yarn on needles the thickness of cocktail sticks, I think it's come out OK.  This is 8 inches wide.......
I found a book on Amazon called 75 Seashells, Fish, Coral & Colorful Marine Life to Knit & Crochet - of course I had to have it!  I had time to play with making a seahorse - not terrific, I was tired and barely able to see straight after finishing the phone.  I wish I had some spare time to play some more, but there are bulldogs and lamps and salmon to knit - yes, you read that right, salmon.  Maybe I can adapt that from one of the new patterns.......

*No, I didn't eat any of the fairy meals, I wasn't a stupid child!  The fun was in the making.

2 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Wow! Love the telephone. Looks too cute! The scarf is sweet too. And don't get me started on the seahorse, I love them... You should paint one to go with the jellyfish... xoxo

Sue Doran said...

I am amazed and impressed with all three items, especially that the dial goes round on the phone! I particularly like seahorses, you should do some paintings of those, you're so good at sealife (Fishy Business and your jellyfish leap to mind).