Sunday 15 February 2009

Flying Swans


A couple of weeks ago my daughter and I went to feed the ducks at the local big pond. As well as the ducks, a whole family of swans came flying in to join the feast - they were just spectacular. Luckily, I had my camera with me and got some 'action' shots, albeit a bit shaky. They were good enough to be used as reference for the above painting, which is a composition combining the three poses I liked the best.

The above is painted in simple watercolour, in fact using a very limited palette of only 4 colours - Ultramarine, Viridian, Burnt Umber and an orange for the beaks. It was a real treat to paint something that hadn't been someone else's choice of subject. I felt a bit creaky and out of practice initially, but it soon came back and I've had a lot of fun with it.

This will be for sale - I'm hoping to have enough paintings to enter various exhibitions coming up, but if you feel you can't live without a swan painting, please get in touch - this would be £100 unframed.

3 comments:

Magpie Magic said...

Totally lovely! The movement and the limited colour palette work so well.

I really like this. :-)

Sallie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! As I have said before, you are so talented.

natural attrill said...

I love the colours in this Caroline, subtle and beautiful.
P.x