Wednesday 1 April 2015

Easter Baking...

 I really should not allow any programme from the British Bake Off stable to be shown in our house.  It always results in lots of lip smacking and subtle and not so subtle hints that I should be making some of that...  Last week was the Easter special, and even I was tempted by a couple of the recipes.  Perhaps if I had known just how long they took I would not have bothered!  The hot cross buns - don't they look delicious? - took about five hours in total.  Three sessions of proving for an hour each time, interspersed with kneading, adding fruit, kneading some more, cutting and shaping.  Yes they are indeed delicious, but were they worth the effort?  The jury is still out on that one...
The Simnel cake - quicker to mix, but two hours in the oven.  Quick trip round the garden to pick primroses and violets for some ham-fisted crystallization.  We don't know what this one tastes like yet - it can sit and look pretty for a couple of days!

So I feel very virtuous but also that I could have spent yesterday afternoon a little more productively!

Have a Happy Easter!

2 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Very impressive! (but I shall stick to getting my hot cross buns from Waitrose). The cake is very pretty. Too pretty to eat?

Caroline B said...

Thanks Sally - I don't think I'll be making my own hot cross buns ever again to be honest, but had to try once at least!
The cake - nothing is ever too pretty to eat!