Saturday 18 August 2007

Number Two and Three....Exotic Plants and Stephen King

This huge plant, a Bird of Paradise plant, I grew from seed. I have a knack of being able to grow exotic plants from seed, generally from some fruit or other we have eaten. I can kill a lupin or busy-lizzie from 50 paces with a mere look, but tropical fruit flourishes. Behind this plant is a small Durian tree, and around the base of the big pot are three Jack Fruit seedlings, all from fruit my son brought back from Chinatown. Outside in the garden.....
...we have a banana (from seed), Kiwi vine, Kumquat tree, another bigger banana tree which I rescued from the garden centre 'casualty corner' the other day for £7 which is now pushing out leaves at a rate of knots, a Cornish Palm which we bought about 12 years ago when it was 12 inches tall, a huge plantation of bamboo from a six inch cutting we pinched from a stately home about the same time ago....
...you can just about see the leaves of the fig tree on the right - we have eaten four big, yummy figs off it so far this year, a grape vine in it's infancy climbing up the right pillar of the pergola, and out of view are the olive tree and the avacado tree (from seed!) Elsewhere in the house are a couple of Dragon Fruit plants which are like a rambling cactus.

Going back to the first picture, I own every book written by Stephen King, except one which is one of the Dark Tower series which I can never remember the title of when I am in a book store or car boot sale - one day I'll complete the collection! Also, if you look really closely you can see a photo of me with my two brothers and sister - I'm the blonde one and yes it is my natural colour....

2 comments:

natural attrill said...

Your garden looks beautiful, just the kind I would like to have.
P.

Unknown said...

wow what an exotic looking garden Caroline-beautiful!!
Ooh! I like Stephen King too! I read "Cell" on hols this year.